Gibson entered into production of this model in 1937 as its top-of-the-line flat top guitar, initially called the Super Jumbo, changing the name in 1939 to the Super Jumbo 200. It replaced the Gibson Advanced Jumbo. It was made at the Gibson Factory in Kalamazoo, Michigan. The SJ-200 was named for its super-large 16 7/8" flat top body, with a double-braced red spruce top, rosewood back and sides, and sunburst finish. In 1947 the materials used for the guitar changed to maple back and sides. Gibson changed the name to the J-200 in 1955. Due to the weak post-depression economy and wartime austerity, demand for this high-end guitar was very limited and production quantities were small. Early models made from rosewood are highly prized by collectors. Adjustments to bridge design and bracing starting in the early 1960s lead to dramatically changing tone and projection of the instrument. The models built from 1947 to 1957 are considered widely known as powerful, lush, and great sounding guitars for strumming and song writing. By the late 1980s when the Bozeman shop opened up these instruments were reverted to the original sought after designs of the 1930s to 1950s.